Wednesday, June 10, 2009

B Major


There's a little girl who is about to get a big surprise.

Stinkerbell, as discussed numerous times before, has some brain damage. She doesn't talk--at all. Imagine my surprise when, a few weeks ago, she started singing along to the radio. Okay, she makes a "whawha" sound instead of singing words but she is singing....and having herself a good ol' time. She's waving her hands, throwing back her head, closing her eyes, belting it out.

She only likes the music of one singer: Dierks Bentley. Mostly, she likes the song "Sideways" although she does sing to "Every Mile a Memory" and "What Was I Thinking." Yep, she's selective. Just this morning, as we left the doctor's office (the next surgery looms sometime this summer), "Sideways" was playing when I started the car. Squellllll! Hands Clapping! Big Smile! Yep, she's a DB fan.

Dierks Bentley is going to be playing here in town this month at the famed B93 Birthday Bash. The local country radio station brings in a bunch of acts for a two day sell-out party at the fair grounds. I think Stinkerbell would be really excited to see her guy in concert but there was no way we could wait in line for tickets. She doesn't do "waiting" well.

I wrote to the radio station, told them a little about Miss Stinkerbell, included a photo and asked if we could have tickets. I figured it was possible but not likely. Wowzer! The next day they contacted me and now Stinkerbell and I are headed out on the 21st to see Dierks Bentley in concert. Wowzer. Aren't people just amazing? I cannot believe how nice B93 has been to us.

Now, I know what you are thinking: that I'm the one who really wants to see Dierks Bentley. Not true. I do like his music and I think he's a nice guy. I love that he got my silent girl singing. But I'm not a concert goer normally. I'd rather listen to the cd in the quiet of my own home but, for my sweetie pie Stinkerbell, going to see Dierks Bentley is music to my ears.

2 comments:

Susan Loftin said...

What a nice surprise! I hope you and Stinkerbell have a great time at the concert.

Chantelle said...

How wonderful!! I'm so glad they sent you tickets!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. (and who the heck is Dierks Bentley?)