Saturday, June 27, 2009

Beary Patriotic


I finally finished this little banner....just in time for the 4th of July party at our house next Sunday.

Here's the way I went about putting it together: While on our family vacation in May I drew this little bear on white fabric with a wash-away pen. At that point, I didn't know what it would be. Once I had it finished, rinsed and pressed (a big shout out to kimmymade for blogging about the importance of pressing, a step I used to omit but really makes a massive difference) I started playing with it against different fabrics.

When I saw the doodle against this red fabric I knew it would make a great 4th of July banner. I pulled out rick rack, trim, ribbon, etc and later buttons and played with placement. I have to stop myself from rushing through a project. Sometimes everything comes together all at once but usually a project is improved by a few days of "mulling time." Don't you think?

This same doodle could be used just as nicely for a Valentine's Day decoration or card, a birthday card/decoration. It would even look sweet in a baby's room. Change the heart on the flag and you have a million other possibilities. Pretty cool, eh?


After I tweak things a bit, I'm going to put the bear pattern up for free on flickr. I'll post the link next week in case you want to make your own beary banner.

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

Love the red polka dot fabric, and the bear pose with the flag is SO cute! great job!