Thursday, April 23, 2009

Catching Up--in lots of ways

The theme for this week's Words and Pictures is: Catching Up.

And today is World Book Day. So I figured the perfect mix is to highlight the books I am reading or wish I was reading or need to be reading. Here's a collection pulled from beside my bed:

Joan Hess' Malpractice in Maggody (hysterical mystery set in Arkansas),

Valerie Shrader's Pretty Little Potholders (which is strangely enough about how to make some really cute potholders)

And since I do have too much stuff I am reading Kathryn Porter's Too Much Stuff: De-Cluttering Your Heart and Home.

A mum of special needs children is never still. I've got Childhood Speech, Language and Listening Problems; Developmental Speech and Language Disorders; and Communication and Communication Disorders to wade through at my leisure. Oh--and let's not forget Asthma for Dummies. You realize that I am going to get a master's in communication disorders once the kiddos are grown, don't you? With all this practice, I'll be a pro in no time. Or maybe I'll just make more softies.

I'm reading a children's book Culture of the World: Bhutan by Robert Cooper because I'm a huge fan of Cooper's. Kidding. Actually, I'm really interested in Bhutan but there's no way I'm wading through some academic adult text. Kids books are perfect when you want to know a bit fast. I make Spudly check them out for me so no one knows my dirty little secret. Kidding.

And for pure pleasure I've got N.T. Wright's The Crown and the Fire as well as Josephine Tey's The Singing Sands. Both are excellent, both are rereads.

Of course, reading is best when shared with a good friend or two like Josephine and Alex Bear.

Next on the business list: from book worms to cute worms. Here is a picture of my worm pattern sewn up into a little badge-pin. I like him. Hope you did too.

And finally, here is an update on all my granny square work. I'd like to have the freedom to work in every and any colour and then throw it all together in a gorgeous hodge podge. Alas, 1) I am anal. And 2) I'm making this as a gift for a little boy whose parents may or may not want him to be exposed to the more feminine of colours. Perhaps, boys are not allowed to know about pink and yellow until they are older and can more easily resist the temptations to experiment..... Having all girls, I'm not sure.

And there you have it: catching up on reading and crafting and blogging and life.

1 comment:

Recovering Noah said...

Girl, I am with you on the reading. If I could ever just take a vacation - go somewhere by myself for a week - and have the chance to read the 17 parenting books on my nightstand.. then maybe, just maybe, my kids would stand a chance.

As of now, they are very likely going to grow up to be procrastinating, hurried, scatterbrains... like their mama.